Thursday, May 11, 2017

Even good news is never really good

Well, we had our viability scan yesterday; the good news was that the heart rate was 129, which was good. The bad news (to us, anyway) was that the CRL measured at 6w2d, when we were really 6w6d along. That immediately brought back memories of our last miscarriage, where the fetus measured behind and never caught up before eventually losing its heartbeat.

Our ultrasound tech is a nice lady who we've had before, and she was quite upbeat about it all - that the heart rate was good and the size was 'fine'. She wanted to start chatting about which OB/GYN we were going to use, and our hearts just weren't in it. Even with good news, it just feels like we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. We overheard her outside of the room explaining the results to our doctor's nurse, and she was expressing her surprise that the results seemed good to her, but that we seemed very concerned. That made me feel better, but of course then I think that with our history it's still not very good.

We met with our doctor afterward, and he was cautiously optimistic - he actually asked if we wanted to continue with him or with our regular OB/GYN, which he didn't offer with the miscarriage - he said we needed to come back for another scan. So that, too, seemed like a positive. I so want to believe that these folks, who see a huge range of people and pregnancies, know what a good one looks like. It's just really hard to believe.

I can't decide if I'm an 'omens' person or not - I always think of the movie 'Signs' when thinking about it, and I would normally say I land squarely on the not superstitious side of the fence. But then I kept trying to not shave during our cycles because I thought it was good luck. And yesterday, when we walked into the ultrasound room, "Sweet child o' mine" was playing on the tech's iPad. If that's not a good omen, I don't know what is. So we wait, we hope, and we worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment