Thursday, January 9, 2014

7 to 4

Where to start, I guess it's been a few days. This week has been a whirlwind. On monday we had our third blood work and ultrasound. We found out I had 6 maturing follicles and they were of a size that I had to trigger ovulation, ready for egg retrieval on Wednesday. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Throughout this whole process I had my head set on producing double digits, at least ten eggs. The reason you want more is it gives more chances for success - but in the end you only need one good quality to work. We talked with our nurses and they assured us it was a 'good' result, not a great one, but a good one.

So yesterday we moved forward, we arrived at boston ivf at 745 am and began getting me ready for the retrieval. B went off and made his 'contribution' to the process as I was taken off changed and had and iv put in my arm. This is a procedure they sedate you for, and though fast (~20 minutes) is a full day experience. I woke up from the sedation with hiccups and nausea, but to the news they had retrieved 7 eggs. B took me home to a day of bed rest and Vicodin, and posibly the first time I've really slept in over a week because of all the aches and pains. Friends sent us over puzzles, I watched tv, I was lazier than I've ever been I think. 

The next step was to hear from the lab today, and we just got the call - 6 had icsi and 4 fertilized. Our dr wants to try for a 5 day transfer, hopefully meaning he thinks they're good quality. So now we wait....5 long days and hope all the embryos survive so we can have 2 transferred and 2 frozen for later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment